Screening Questionnaires are tools used by providers to evaluate a patient based on a score and guidelines derived from a series of medically validated questions and answers. Questionnaires may be completed by patients, parents, teachers, or other providers.
Completion of Questionnaires may occur before or during an encounter, but submission by API can only happen after the patient has been checked in and athenaNet has generated an encounterID for an appointment. Screening questionnaires should never be uploaded after an encounter has been signed off and closed.
What is a Screening Questionnaire in athenaNet?
In athenaNet, there are two types of technical screening questionnaires: Full Questionnaires and Score Only Questionnaires (see descriptions below). A practice is able to configure which screening questionnaires they want to use in their practice, and then apply filters (age range, sex, and specialty) to indicate when a screening questionnaire should surface for a particular patient.
- Full Questionnaires are built by the R&D team to include all questions, answers, guidelines, and scoring algorithms as defined in the official validated version. These allow users to document the answers as reported by the patient and generate a score calculated by the scoring algorithm.
- Score Only Questionnaires allow the documentation of only the numeric score calculated outside of athenaNet and any notes about the questionnaire. These are used for questionnaires that do not yet have a full version built in athenaNet.
Important Notes on Screeners:
- There will only ever be either a full questionnaire or a score only questionnaire in athenaNet. To reduce confusion, the clinical editorial policy only allows for one or the other types of screener to be used at any given time.
- To ensure that athena's curated list of screening questionnaires is held to a high standard and is valuable to a wide array of practices, athena will only support industry-standard screening questionnaires validated by medical research (e.g. AMA, AHA), and not derivatives of a clinical standard screening questionnaire. The list of supported screeners is maintained by a team at athena, and continues to grow as new features are added.
- Partners are required to upload a PDF of the screener questions and answers as an encounter document of subclass "ENCOUNTERDOCUMENT_PATIENTHISTORY" for any screener administered to a patient.
- Structured screening questionnaires require that a partner has licensed the screener and scoring algorithm so they are able to pass in a score and clinical guidance via API.
- athena is aware that in some instances a small subset of screening questionnaires scoring results in multiple scores for each section of the questionnaire or block text guidance. In these scenarios athena recommends that partners utilize the notes parameter of the API to pass multiple score values or text into athenaNet.
How Are Screening Questionnaires configured in athenaNet?
Partners can leverage the GET/chart/configuration/questionnairescreeners API to discover what screeners are available for a given appointment. To learn more about configuring screening questionnaires please log into your athenaNet sandbox, launch O-help (top menu - support - O-help, and search keywords Screener Questionnaires.
Screener Questionnaire API workflow:
Step 1: Request a list of all available screener questionnaires for a particular appointment
Required: Department ID, Patient Id, Practice ID, and either Appointment ID or Encounter ID
Step 2: Surface screener’s questions and answer options to the patient in your application
Step 3: Check patient in to generate an Encounter ID
Step 4: Activate the issued screeners in the patient’s encounter
Step 5: Upload a PDF of the questions and answers for each screening questionnaire administered to the patient.
Step 6: Get the encounter questionnaire IDs to enable uploading the screener’s answers, scores, clinical guidance
Step 7: Submit the screener questionnaire data for the encounter.
For structured screeners:
Required fields are:
*A JSON array of questions that contain a questionid and answer. For example:
For score only screeners:
Required fields are:
Step 8: To validate that the screener was uploaded successfully
- Look for a response value of "scoringstatus" : "BEENSCORED"