Digital check-in is the ability to electronically collect and verify key patient information necessary for a patient to be seen for an appointment. This process varies by practice, but typically we recommend that the following components be included in the partner UI, leveraging the appropriate API calls to exchange the latest athenaNet information and data:
- Forms and Documents (such as consent forms)
Because digital check-in makes use of so many areas of our APIs, we will make reference to other workflow documents as appropriate.
Illustrative Workflow (staff-triggered)
- Patient visits the front desk and presents patient license and insurance ID card.
- Practice staff verifies patient identity and appointment, creating/updating appointment in athenaNet if necessary.
- Practice staff ensures that the patient’s insurance information for today’s appointment is up-to-date in athenaNet, including the copay amount.
- Practice staff selects the appropriate patient appointment via the device to initiate the patient self-check in process. Partner should trigger “Start Check-in” API at this point to help measure check in duration.
Communicator clients and athena are interested in driving patient portal adoption, as it brings many benefits to the patients and practice alike. Partners can help drive portal adoption via Digital Check-in in three ways:
- Increasing the collection of email addresses which are required for patient portal registration and login
- Surfacing messaging at the end of the workflow reminding patients to visit the portal after their visit (and listing benefits)
- Triggering a portal invitation email based on portal registration status
- Scheduling best practices to collect insurance information over the phone when booking an appointment to streamline check-in process
- Practice configuration of patient portal health forms and training intake staff on reconciliation engine
- Training/awareness for front desk staff re outstanding balances so they can answer questions as needed (for example, balances associated with payment plans, payment contracts, etc.)
- Define self-pay policies including payment contracts (single vs. one year), and training/awareness by front desk staff to answer questions about this
- Assessment of paper forms and any clinical screenings required; be ready to discuss with partner