The functionality of each athenahealth API endpoint is dependent on the athenahealth products used by the healthcare organization with which you are integrating with. An overview of athenahealth's products can be found on the athenahealth website. If an organization uses athenaOne (athenaClinicals, athenaCollector, and athenaCommunicator), then all athenahealth APIs are available for that organization.
Listed below is each section of the API (see Sandbox) with the corresponding required athenahealth product:
Forms and Documents: athenaClinicals
Hospital: athenaOne for Hospitals and Health Systems
Insurance and Financial: athenaCollector
Obstetrics(OB) Episode: athenaClinicals
Patient: athenaCollector and/or athenaClinicals
Practice Configuration: athenaCollector
Quality Management and Pop Health: athenaClinicals
Note: The above mappings are generally true, however there are some subtle exceptions.
Note: Below is not an exhaustive list. We will continue to add to the list as more special cases arise.
- Patient Appointment Reasons require athenaCommunicator. Patient Appointment Reasons (reasonid) are an optional input parameter used when booking appointments or retrieving open appointment slots.
- Native athenaTelehealth appointments require athenaCommunicator.
Forms and Documents
- Health History Forms also require athenaCommunicator.
- Some consents just require athenaCollector.
Insurance and Financial
- Payments endpoints: CCP module; Note: partners can determine this with GET /departments where valid credit cards and other payment details are outputted or not.
- CCM Enrollment endpoints: CCM setup
Patient Secure Messaging
- Endpoints that reference /securemessage/ or /patientsecuremessage/ found within the Patient section require athenaCommunicator.
- Any endpoint that contains the word “portal” will need athenaCommunicator.